Are you looking for practical strategies and ideas to support children to re-build their skills, confidence and enthusiasm for reading?
Over recent months many of our young learners may have switched off from their reading and may have forgotten some of the strategies they use to make meaning from texts. They may return to school after a long period of not speaking to others about the reading they have been doing and they may be worried about making mistakes.
This practical session will give you ideas of how to scaffold and support children with their reading and encourage them to dig deeper into texts. We will explore some practical strategies to take back to school using pictures and picturebooks to engage, stimulate and spark rich conversation about reading.
- Consider the factors that support inference making and unlocking meaning
- Explore the power of ‘think alouds’ to support and scaffold
- Layering questions to dig deeper into texts
- Begin to consider the classroom culture and role of dialogic talk in exploring and challenging interpretations
- Take away some practical ideas to use and adapt for the books you have available in school.
This webinar is offered at no cost to Norfolk schools.
Joining instructions will be emailed prior to the event.
NQTs Teachers English subject leaders across the primary phase